Assistance for Your Workplace Injury
Workplace injuries are not uncommon and affect millions of workers around the world every year. Obtaining Worker's Compensation for your injuries in Australia is your legal right, however you do need to follow the correct procedures:
- Notify your employer of the incident straight away
- Follow company procedures
- Get medical attention
- Obtain a Worker's Compensation Medical Certificate
- Lodge a Worker's compensation claim
- Seek legal advice from a work injury lawyer
Why not seek assistance?
If you've been injured on the job you are entitled to lodge a Worker's Compensation Claim. Reasonable and necessary expenses may be granted, which can include:
- Loss of wages
- Hospital and medical expenses
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Attendant care
- Home &/or Vehicle modifications
- Equipment such as wheelchairs etc.
Permanent Injury and Common Law...
If you have suffered a permanent injury as a result of someone else's negligence you may have Common Law entitlements in addition to Statutory Entitlements. For Common Law Claims (or Negligence Claims) in Queensland:
- Negligence must be clearly proven or (depending on the circumstance of the incident) contributory negligence will be investigated.
- The Claim must be lodged within the applicable period of 6 Months from the "date of injury" or date of diagnosis from your Medical Practitioner. Should you fail to lodge the Application for Compensation within this time period, you must provide a reasonable excuse for delay.
- Do not accept an offer of a lump sum payment i.e. from WorkCover Queensland without seeking legal advice
Seek legal help!
Seek legal advice so that you can understand the process as a whole. Every case has many variables and legal advice including options must be tailored to the facts of each case. Please see below for a handful of Queensland based legal resources and lawyers we suggest getting in touch with:
- LHD Lawyers - Compensation law firm LHD Lawyers, known for their vigilance in spearheading the class action for all Australians affected by the MH17 air crash incident, have recently expanded into Queensland with their compensation law services.
- QMT Lawyers - Many firms boast being in the industry for 10, 20, 30 years - Few can claim practicing as an law and injury firm since 1929.
- Queensland Law Society - Please refer to the QLS's directory of Accredited Specialists for Personal Injuries Law to find an accredited personal injury lawyer.
Common workplace accidents include:
- Slips and falls
- Broken bones
- Stress, Bullying, Harassment
- Repetitive strain injuries